Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Poemland!

Hey there, Grammarland readers!

This week, my students recite a li'l grammar poem....but after that, it gets real!

My sixth graders will learn the first stanza of "Rabbi Ben Ezra", By Robert Browning. It's due October 25.

Rabbi Ben Ezra

Grow old along with me!
The best is yet to be,
The last of life, for which the first was made:
Our times are in His hand
Who saith "A whole I planned,
Youth shows but half; trust God: see all, nor be afraid!''


My 7th graders will re-visit our old friend from 6th grade, Robert Frost. This poem is also due Oct. 25.

Nothing Gold Can Stay

Nature’s first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold
Her early leaf’s a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.
And my 8th graders.....
I scared myself reading this stanza the other night:
Yes, it's "The Raven", by Edgar Allan Poe. 8th graders will recite the first half by November 8...or they may really challenge themselves, and memorize the whole thing for a test grade!! This poem is so magnificent that it earns its own vocabulary list. Study it on Quizlet! https://quizlet.com/431529888/the-raven-vocabulary-flash-cards/


Next Tuesday we will have vocab tests in 6-8 grades. Study on Quizlet! https://quizlet.com/join/P7BRFEtkA

Coming soon.....projects for The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and The Last Battle.

This Friday at 4:00 is the last home game for Varsity Soccer. It's also senior night, and we are playing our cross-town rivals, Grace Christian. Come out and support our soccer team!( If you happen to see me and I'm all teary-eyed, it's because my son is one of those seniors, and this will be one of the last few times he'll wear his Falcon uniform. This mom life!)

Please send items for our Fall Festival basket:  COFFEE: PLEASE AND THANK YOU!! Next week I will send a sign up sheet for our fall festival game. It's a soccer shootout...made challenging by using those lightweight playground balls!

Here's a word for your weekend: unperturbed:  not worried, upset, or disquieted. 
It's an adjective. Use it well!

Blessings,
Mrs. Desjarlais


No comments:

Post a Comment

So grateful

 Hello, Grammarland! Parents, thank you. You went all out when it was time for our Boosterthon and for our crazy Penny War. You have been am...